Natural Gas Safety
Reserve Gas Company, Inc. strives at providing safe, reliable natural gas to all of our customers. Natural gas is in fact one of the safest and cleanest burning energy sources available.
Detecting a Gas Order
Natural gas is colorless and odorless. We add an odorant that produces a distinctive "gas smell" so that leaks are easier to detect.
If you detect a faint gas smell, check to see if you have a pilot light out or a burner that is not completely turned off. If you smell a strong gas odor, or are unable to detect the cause of the odor:
•Do not switch lights on and off.
•Do not use a telephone or cell phone.
•Do not light any matches.
•Do open doors and windows to ventilate.
•Do leave the premises and then use a nearby phone or a cell phone to call Reserve Gas Company, Inc.'s Emergency Line at (716) 937-9484.
Gas Safety Inside and Outside of Your Home
Gas appliances, equipment and connectors should always be installed and used according to the manufacturer's instructions. They may also be subject to manufacturer product recalls. Improper use of these devices, or continued use of products that have been recalled, may result in a hazardous situation leading to severe injury or even death. We recommend that you periodically check with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (1-800-638-CPSC (2772), www.cpsc.gov or www.recalls.gov) or the product manufacturer to see if any of your natural gas equipment has been recalled.
Replacing Appliance Connectors
Certain gas appliance connectors should be replaced. Gas connectors are corrugated metal tubes used to connect gas appliances in your home to the gas supply pipes. Some older uncoated bronze connectors can crack or come apart, causing a gas leak that could result in a very dangerous situation. If any of your gas appliances have uncoated brass connectors they should be replaced immediately with a new connector made of either plastic coated brass or stainless steel. Do not move your appliance to check the connector. Moving the appliance, even slightly, could cause the complete failure of one of these connectors. These connectors should only be checked and replaced by a qualified plumber, heating contractor or appliance repair person. Do not try to do this yourself. Please note: Reserve Gas Company, Inc. does not provide this service.
All gas pipes and lines running from the gas meter to your appliances belong to the property owner. Only a qualified heating contractor or plumber should install these natural gas lines. Request that the contractor install rigid steel pipe or flexible stainless steel piping. You should then conduct regular inspections to ensure proper and safe operation, as you are also responsible for the maintenance and repair of these pipes and lines.
Extremely hot water can be dangerous. Make sure your water heater or boiler is set to a safe temperature (as recommended by the manufacturer). Always check the water temperature prior to placing a child in the bathtub, and never leave a child in the bathtub without adult supervision.
What to do in Case of Floods
If there has been a flood in your home, play it safe and call us , especially if you smell natural gas. Our emergency number is (716) 937-9484. Water can damage your natural gas appliances. If any gas appliance burner or its controls have been under water, DO NOT attempt to relight. A qualified contractor should be called to inspect the equipment.
Snow and ice can damage gas meters, regulators and pipes, as well as damage appliances or render them unsafe. Use a broom to keep gas service equipment clear, and inspect roof drainage to ensure that ice accumulation does not endanger the equipment. Chimneys and vents for gas appliances must be kept free of snow and ice to enable proper ventilation and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Protecting Your Family From Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and potentially dangerous gas produced when fuel (heating oil, propane, kerosene, charcoal, gasoline, wood or natural gas) is burned without enough air for complete combustion. If inhaled in large quantities for a prolonged time period, carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness, brain damage and even death.
Learning to identify the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is the first step toward protecting you and your family. These symptoms include:
•Cherry Red Lips and Ears
•Loss of Consciousness
If you, or anyone in your household, experience these symptoms, get into fresh air immediately and seek emergency medical care by calling 911 or the fire department. If possible open windows and doors on the way out.
There are a number of steps you can take to minimize the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, including:
•Have your chimney, appliances and heating equipment inspected and tested by a qualified professional every year.
•Install vent-less heaters in accordance with manufacturer specifications, never using them as a primary heat source.
•Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. Do not rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, heating equipment or chimneys. If you do choose to install a carbon monoxide detector, use it as an additional preventative measure.*
•Clear snow and ice from exhaust vents and intake air vents for gas appliances to prevent carbon monoxide from accumulating in your home.
•Never use a gas oven or stove top for heating your home.
•Never run a gasoline engine (such as a gasoline generator) or an automobile in an enclosed space.
•Never use a portable charcoal or propane grill indoors.
*You should make sure that any carbon monoxide detector you consider for purchase is listed by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to the current UL 2034 standard, "Carbon Monoxide Detectors." Reserve Gas Company, Inc. does not endorse or recommend any specific brand of carbon monoxide detector.
Heating Safety and Efficiency
Before the winter heating season begins, have your heating system inspected by a qualified contractor. The contractor should provide the following services:
•Check the heat exchangers for cracks, rust and corrosion.
•Clean and check the flue and vent pipes for any obstructions.
•Check your heating system, or have it tested, for proper ventilation.
•Clean and replace all furnace filters.
•Check blower operation, clean and lubricate.
•Check and adjust pilots (if any) and burners.
•Check that your gas appliances produce a sharp blue flame.
•Check all electrical connections.
Please be sure to keep flammable materials outdoors and in approved containers, and far away from your furnace, water heater and other gas appliances.
Dig Safely New York
In order to avoid utility service interruption, which may put your safety and the safety of others at risk, you are required to notify the appropriate One-Call System before beginning construction, excavation or demolition projects. Don't forget to call first when planning home improvements such as building a fence, planting a tree or installing a pool.
811 is the new number you should call before you begin any digging project. Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling 811 before each job.
Even if your construction project is not expected to interfere directly with existing pipelines, you may still be in danger of locating your project or digging too closely to related facilities. This is known as encroachment. To ensure your safety and Reserve Gas' ability to access our pipelines and other facilities, call toll free number at 1-800-962-7962 or 811 before you begin construction.